The tool assists candidates in calculating points relating to the following subclass of Australian immigration visa: 189, 190 and 489; the minimum eligibility criteria for all three also being explained below.
The Australian Points Calculator helps determine the eligibility of the candidate for skilled migration visas through calculating points across factors, including candidates’ age, qualification, work experience, English language proficiency and more. For each visa, the candidate needs to score a minimum of 65 points. The higher the points, the more chance for the applicant to receive an invitation to apply and permanently live, work and study across Australia.
Select from the skilled visa type you are applying for:
- Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189): A non-sponsored visa that does not require a nominator or a sponsor; should have an invitation to apply; should be aged under 45; should check whether the occupation is listed in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
- Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190): Nomination required by a State or Territory Government. Also, occupation needs to be listed under the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List (CSOL).
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489): In order to apply under this visa, one should possess sponsorship from a suitable relative living in some designated area or by a state or territory government.
The point criterion is assessed at the time of the invitation to apply. The points tables given below would help you calculate the maximum point that can be received under respective categories.
Age: Maximum Points – 30
|Age Group||Maximum Points|
English Language Skills (IELTS/PTE): Maximum Points – 20
|Competent English (IELTS 6/PTE50)||0|
|Proficient English (IELTS 7/ PTE65)||10|
|Superior English (IELTS 8/ PTE79)||20|
Skilled Employment Experience
Overseas skilled employment experience – (Outside Australia): Maximum Points – 15
|Number of years||Points|
|Less than 3 years||0|
|At least 3 but less than 5 years||5|
|At least 5 but less than 8 years||10|
|At least 8 years||15|
Australian skilled employment experience – (in Australia): Maximum Points – 20
|Number of years||Points|
|Less than 1 years||0|
|At least 1 but less than 3 years||5|
|At least 3 but less than 5 years||10|
|At least 5 but less than 8 years||15|
|At least 8 years||20|
- The points for employment can only be claimed if the employment comes under the nominated skilled occupation or any closely related skilled occupation.
- The employment should be claimed for a relevant period of time, described in the table above and in the ten years period before you receive an invitation to apply.
- In relation to any Australian employment you should have a substantive visa, also described Bridging A or Bridging B visa, along with all the conditions described for that visa to become eligible for points.
- The term employed means to be engaged in a paid occupation by working for a minimum of 20 hours a week.
- Closely related occupations should fall under the same ANZSCO unit group or be consistent with your career advancement pathway or recognized by conducting a skills assessment.
- Even if the individual is scoring more than 20 points, the maximum number of points that can be awarded for the overall employment experience limits to only 20 points.
Educational qualification: Maximum Points – 20
|Doctorate from an Australian institution or from an educational institution that holds the recognized standard for the visa applied.||20|
|A bachelor or master’s degree from an Australian institution or from other educational institutions, which holds the recognized standard for the visa applied.||15|
|A diploma or a trade qualification awarded by an Australian institution||10|
|Attained an educational qualification recognized under the nominated skilled occupation and also suitable for the chosen occupation||10|
- The points-based migration allows receiving points only for the highest educational qualification.
- The recognition of the overseas qualification till or above bachelor level degree will be done by the authority undertaking the skills assessment to determine whether the qualification is comparable to an Australian qualification.
- In case of absence of any opinion from the relevant assessing authority, the Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services(VETASSESS) can be approached in order to conduct the necessary assessment.
- Points for a doctoral degree or a Ph.D. can be claimed if the individual has qualified the title of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). However, points cannot be claimed if the title of the Doctor is used to describe general practitioner, dentist or other similar professions.
Specialist Education Qualification: Maximum Points – 5
|A Masters Degree or a Doctorate degree attained from an Australian institution that should include a minimum of 2 years of study under a relevant field||5|
The following fields of education are considered to be relevant fields: Natural and physical sciences, Information technology, Engineering, and related technologies.
Australian Study Requirement: Maximum Points – 5
|Meet the standards of the Australian study requirement||5|
In order to meet the Australian study requirement, the individual should have at least one degree, diploma or any other trade qualification awarded from an Australian institution.
Professional year completed in Australia: Maximum Points – 5
|Completion of one professional year in Australia||5|
- A complete one year of professional experience is required when you will receive an invitation to apply.
- In order to become eligible for this award, the professional experience must be:
- under professions that include, accounting, ICT/computing or engineering;
- nominated occupation or any closely related occupation;
- gathered across the period of a minimum of 12 months;
- completed in Australia in the last four years before receiving an invitation to apply for the visa;
- provided by Engineers Australia, the Institute of Public Accountants, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, CPA Australia and the Australian Computer Society.
Credentialled community language: Maximum Points – 5
|Awarded with a recognized qualification for credentialled community language||5|
In order to become eligible and receive points for this category, you should be accredited to paraprofessional level or above category; must be awarded for provisional level certifications or above, or hold a community language credential for translating and interpreting the language from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.
Study in regional Australia: Maximum Points – 5
|You must possess at least one degree, diploma or any trade qualification from an Australian institution||5|
In order to become eligible and receive points for your educational qualification:
- the degree should meet the Australian study requirement;
- you should obtain the degree certificate while living and studying at an educational institution or campus listed in the low population-growth metropolitan area or a regional Australia; and,
- the degree should not be awarded via distance education mode.
Partner Skills: Maximum Points – 5
|Your de facto partner or spouse should also be an applicant for the same visa and should meet all the necessary requirements for age, English proficiency and other skills requirement||5|
In order for you to become eligible for the award of points under this category, your partner should be an applicant under the same visa category or subclass. Further, your spouse must not already a permanent resident or citizen of Australia. In addition to this, the following evidence needs to be provided at the time of invitation to apply for this visa, stating that your spouse:
- Were aged under 45 years old;
- Possess a competent level of English;
- Possess nomination under a skilled occupation category, which must be same as yours;
- Possess an accurate skills assessment received by the assessing authority from their nominated; skilled occupation and the assessment should not be performed for the Subclass 485 visa.
Jon Mike is a professional content writer and blogger. He has more than 5 years of writing and digital marketing experience in the field for health, SEO Content technology, and real estate etc. I can post content for better ranking in major search engine. https://www.max90hyperfuses.co.uk