Meningioma is a tumor that grows slowly but steadily on the brain surface. As it grows significantly the symptoms of this begin to appear, and puts pressure on the surface of the brain and the spinal cord. Meningioma hails from the meningeal tissues of the brain. These tissues are basically thin membranes surrounding the brain and the spinal cord. Malignant meningioma is actually called anaplastic. Tumors can be both cancerous and benign.
As the former is called malignant, it grows and spreads to other body parts simultaneously. The benign one although grows does not spread. Although on an approx. 80% of the meningioma have a benign origin. The remaining 20% are rarely malignant and mostly have a greater risk of relapsing after treatment, and hence they are rightly called atypical. The function of the three layers of meninges, the dura mater, the arachnoid mater, and the pia mater is to protect the brain as well as the spinal cord along with the cerebrospinal fluid, circulating in the space between the arachnoid and pia membranes. Meningioma treatment in India requires less cost than in the European countries.
Meningioma is classified depending upon where it originates in the central nervous system.
- Intraventricular meningioma: This mostly occurs in the enclosure which carries the cerebrospinal fluid all through the brain. This is very rare and only 2% of all the meningioma are of this type.
- Spinal meningioma: This mostly are found in the portion of the spinal cord at the chest level. However during growth, this might also put pressure on the spinal cord, causing pain to radiate around the wall of the chest, weakness or a feeling of numbness in the legs, trouble in bladder contraction and relaxation. Less than 10% of the different kinds of meningioma are of this kind.
- Falx and parasagittal meningioma: This greatly occurs in the falx membrane which is present in the groove, between the right and the left half of the brain. This consists of a large blood vessel and mainly protects the brain from injury. The parasagittal meningioma, however, collocates on the upper part of the falx, on the immediate inside of the skull. This kind of meningioma is very common. 25% of the same are of this type.
- Intraorbital meningioma: In this kind of meningioma, the cancerous tissue develops surrounding the sockets of the eyes. This holds more or less a 10% of all the meningioma.
- Olfactory groove meningioma: The same is located on the nerves which connect the brain to the nose, and hence the name olfactory. Accounts for 10% of the meningioma.
- Convexity meningioma: This is found on the outer covering of the brain. 20% of the meningioma is of this kind.
- Suprasellar meningioma: This is found to occur right beside the sella turcica. This is located at the base of the skull from the center of the same, right where the pituitary gland is located. This kind of meningioma holds a 10% share.
Sphenoid meningioma: As the sphenoid ridge is situated right behind our eyes, meningioma which forms there is attributed the name of the same. This type of meningioma makes up 20% of all the same.
I am admin of this website max90hyperfuses.co.uk. I have created this website for unique content sharing for a various topic which can help the reader.